Famous Statues Monuments Augusta, Georgia

Famous Statues & Monuments in Augusta, Georgia

Famous statues and monuments located in Augusta, Georgia home of the Master’s Golf Tournament each Spring.

Augusta, Georgia was founded in 1736 and is the second oldest city in Georgia filled with a rich history that is remembered through the many statues and monuments located throughout the city. Today Augusta is probably best known for hosting perhaps the world’s greatest golf tournament every April called The Masters. It’s every kid’s dream who plays golf to one day play at Augusta and win the Masters. Fittingly Augusta has bronze golf statues in the city as well as many more statues and monuments that commemorate the great people from Augusta dating from Colonial times to the present.

Bronze Golf Statues of Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer

Six larger than life bronze golf statues depicting golf greats Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Byron Nelson, Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, and Ray Floyd can be seen at the Augusta Museum of History located at 560 Reynolds Street. No statue yet of Tiger Woods but despite all his scandals, they will probably have one of Tiger here someday.

James Brown Statue on Broad Street

Augusta was the hometown of the godfather of soul James Brown and honors him with a life-size bronze statue located in the 800 block on Broad Street in Augusta, Georgia. The statue is often decorated with a real cape as James Brown often performed onstage with a cape even though the statue depicts him with a bronze cape. It’s not unusual for fans of the singer to also leave flowers and other memorabilia on or near the statue.

General James E. Oglethorpe on the Common

Located at the center of the Augusta Common on Broad Street between 8th and 9th streets is a statue of Augusta General James E. Oglethorpe. The statue depicts Oglethorpe standing upon a pedestal holding a spyglass with a sword at his side. Oglethorpe also founded the colony of Georgia.

Monument to Georgia’s Signers of the Declaration of Independence

Located on Greene Street between 5th and 6th Streets is a monument to the Georgia signers of the Declaration of Independence. Beneath this 1848 obelisk built of marble are the remains of George Walton and Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett is also honored though not buried here.

Monument to the Poets of Georgia

Located at the 700 block of Greene Street is a marble monument honoring the Georgia poets who lived in and around Augusta. Sydney Lanier, Father Abram Ryan, James R. Randall, and Paul Hamilton Hayne are 19th-century poets honored by the Monument to Poets.

Confederate Monument on Broad Street

The Confederate Monument is located on Broad Street between 7th and 8th Streets. This 76-foot high Italian marble monument contains life-size statues of Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson and is dominated by a statue of Confederate Sergeant Barry Greenwood Benson who was chosen by the women of the Ladies Memorial Association of Augusta who commissioned the statue to represent an anonymous soldier but everyone always referred to Benson as the man on the monument.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *