Buckhead Neighborhood – Atlanta

Buckhead is one of Atlanta’s largest neighborhoods. 90% of Buckhead homes are single-family houses on individual lots and the remaining 10% are condominiums. The number of homes is growing — a number of new subdivisions are currently being developed or redeveloped, ranging in size from a few homes to more than 50. The area is heavily wooded with many hills and valleys. It is conveniently located and has easy access to Atlanta’s best shopping and to the majority of its finest restaurants. Commuting is easier from Buckhead since it is located on the city side of GA 400’s toll gates and has several nearby MARTA stations.

It has been called “The Beverly Hills of the East.” Buckhead is, indeed, an exceptional place. It is a community that shines with vitality and vision. Buckhead is one of the country’s largest urban mixed-use development areas, combining major offices, retail outlets, hotels, restaurants, entertainment spots, and high-rise residential units within its commercial core. And closely surrounding its bustling business center, beneath a community-wide tree canopy, are serene and stable neighborhoods. Buckhead is a city by every definition except incorporation. Everything is here, and everyone is welcome. It’s a great place to visit, to play, to work, to live. It’s such a major part of Atlanta that if you don’t know Buckhead, you don’t know Atlanta!

History

Originally named Irbyville for the Irby family, owner of most of the land in the area and the local tavern/general store, which was located on the comer of Roswell Road and West Paces Ferry in 1839. The community was named after a “buck’s head,” when someone shot a buck and hung the head on a tree outside the tavern, thus becoming a popular landmark. The name Buckhead stuck despite numerous attempts to change the name. Buckhead is one of Atlanta’s most prestigious neighborhoods, located north of Midtown. This neighborhood is composed of highrises, exclusive townhouses, many Swan House one of a kind Georgian and neoclassical mansions, as well as many uniquely styled homes from the 1950s and 1960s complete with meticulously manicured lawns. Home to the Governor’s Mansion, Atlanta Historical Society, the historic Swan House, and the Atlanta History Center. Home to Atlanta’s hottest nightspots featuring over 100 restaurants and nightclubs, this has long been a young professional’s paradise. Easy accessibility to all major expressways and Lenox Marta station.

Buckhead homes

Buckhead is one of Atlanta’s largest neighborhoods. 90% of Buckhead homes are single-family houses on individual lots and the remaining 10% are condominiums. The number of homes is growing — a number of new subdivisions are currently being developed or redeveloped, ranging in size from a few homes to more than 50. The area is heavily wooded with many hills and valleys. It is conveniently located and has easy access to Atlanta’s best shopping and to the majority of its finest restaurants. Commuting is easier from Buckhead since it is located on the city side of GA 400’s toll gates and has several nearby MARTA stations.

It has been called “The Beverly Hills of the East.” Buckhead is, indeed, an exceptional place. It is a community that shines with vitality and vision. Buckhead is one of the country’s largest urban mixed-use development areas, combining major offices, retail outlets, hotels, restaurants, entertainment spots, and high-rise residential units within its commercial core. And closely surrounding its bustling business center, beneath a community-wide tree canopy, are serene and stable neighborhoods. Buckhead is a city by every definition except incorporation. Everything is here, and everyone is welcome. It’s a great place to visit, to play, to work, to live. It’s such a major part of Atlanta that if you don’t know Buckhead, you don’t know Atlanta!

Relocation

Some of the top Realtors in the country – both residential and commercial – have their offices right here in Buckhead. This is not by chance, as the growth and quality of growth for this community frequently receive national attention. The business core of Buckhead provides amenities that make the surrounding residential areas Atlanta’s most convenient place to live. In many instances, residents who work in Buckhead’s offices and stores can walk or ride bikes to their jobs. Take a look at the prestigious schools, stately houses of worship, and active civic organizations, and you’ll immediately see the bonding that makes for a healthy community. Buckhead has something for everyone, which explains why it’s often described as “a state of mind.”

Tourism

It’s hard to believe you can be in the beauty, the comfort, and the excitement of a place like Buckhead, and yet be only a few miles from central Downtown Atlanta and ‘limited access, multi-lane’ convenience to its international airport. Here you have open spaces, exciting entertainment and diversified dining; you can spend a day in the History Museum, tour beautiful residential areas and “shop ’til you drop.” You will feel safe and welcome. Look around and you’ll find many visitors from other parts of Atlanta who come here to dine, travelers from other cities in Georgia who are here to shop, and people from around the country and around the world here on business. Can you believe four luxury hotels in one suburban area?

Economy

The facts speak for themselves: Atlanta’s largest percentages of population and employment growth have occurred here year after year. Buckhead had about a ten percent increase in its commercial space in recent years when much of the country was talking recession. In fact, in 1992, Atlanta’s Commissioner of Planning predicted Buckhead’s business core will triple its1992 size by the year 2007! The reason: We now have access to the Interstate Highway system (and the rest of the world) through the extension of Georgia Highway 400. Buckhead is also a haven for entrepreneurs. Inc. Magazine identified Buckhead as the community with “the greatest concentration of small companies anywhere in the U.S.” The latest national report, “Emerging Trends in Real Estate 2001” by Lend Lease Real Estate Investment and Pricewaterhouse Coopers, describes Buckhead as one of the “nation’s best sub-cities”. Come on in, the opportunity is fine.