Finding Rest, Relaxation, and Rejuvenation in Georgia’s Mountains
Taking time to “stop and smell the roses” is easy in north Georgia. Come see how time spent here can make it easier to face the rigors of the workweek.
If one is planning some Georgia travel, that includes a trip to the mountains of north Georgia then there are many great places to consider visiting, each one designed to meet the various needs and desires. One will find peaceful settings perfect for a romantic getaway, family-friendly festivals and activities, or posh inns perfect for a business retreat. A special favorite are the sights and sounds found in the Bavarian city of Helen.
Area Interest and Activities in Georgia
The northeastern mountains of Georgia offer unique glimpses into the past while providing the comfort and conveniences of the present. There are natural adventures such as hiking Brasstown Bald, Georgia’s highest mountain, listening to the crescendo of the cascades at Tallulah Gorge or the dam at the Watson Mill Bridge State Park, exploration in Helen, or enjoying a wine tasting and tour at area vineyards. Yes, there is plenty to do!
- Tallulah Falls is close to the Chattahoochee National Forest with its many trails, as well as Lake Raeburn where one can spend all day fishing. Also in this area, is the Georgia Heritage Center for the Arts. One will find local artwork as well as rotating exhibits and displays on the history and heritage of the region.
- If feeling the splash of the water as one races downstream is an important part of rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation, then this is just the place! From the Chattooga River rife with whitewater rafting thrills, to quiet canoe trips on the Broad River or going tubing in the Etowah, there is plenty of aquatic adventure waiting to be enjoyed. In addition, there are an assortment of excursions groups and guides happy to assist guests.
- If there are children along for the trip then be sure to spend some time mining for gold at Gold n Gem Grubbin Mine (Cleveland), Crisson Gold Mine or the Consolidated Gold Mine in Dahlonega. As the site of America’s first gold rush, there is plenty of history, legends and lore to be learned at these great places. To continue in this vein, be sure to visit the Dahlonega Gold Mine Museum.
- This region of Georgia is also known for its fine wines. Get a taste of local wineries offerings at the Chateau Elan Winery, the Tiger Mountain Winery, Persimmon Creek Vineyards and others. With nearly a dozen to choose from, one can truly sample some of the region’s finest, without having to stray far from “home”.
- Discover the lure and legends of the five covered bridges- Watson Mill, Poole’s Mill, Stovall, Lula and Cromer’s Mill. With awe-inspiring beauty, peaceful picnic spots and the restful sound of water gurgling, it’s no wonder that so many couple became engaged at these locations.
Places to Stay in Northeastern Georgia
Whether one is looking for elaborate mountain getaways to truly roughing out under the stars, the northeastern Georgia mountains has something for all. There are quiet B&Bs, like the Misty Mountain Inn and Cottages, quiet getaways like The Barn Inn at Lake Rabun, and even mountain yurts at Bobby Brown State Park. So take some time to decide what will work best for one’s plans; here are few places to consider.
- The Chattahoochee River Lodge offers the peace and quiet of the mountains, with all the comforts of home. There are Jacuzzis, a spacious deck complete with grill, as well as a porch that offers a great view of the area. The River Lodge is especially beautiful during the spring when the mountain laurels and dogwoods are in bloom.
- Tallulah Falls in Claremont, Georgia is home to the River Campground and Lodge. Here one can enjoy a peaceful evening while relaxing on a large porch, cooking in a fully equipped kitchen or simply taking advantage of the great fishing, and outdoor activities available. There are gazebos, outdoor sports areas and even a clubhouse bar, perfect for unwinding in front of the magnificent fireplace.
- If one is looking for luxurious accommodations combined with fine dining, golf, and spa treatments, then don’t miss the beautiful Ridges Resort (Hiawassee) or the Kingwood Golf Club and Resort (Clayton).These striking resorts offer the chance to indulge and be indulged, making one’s vacation a thoroughly relaxing and rejuvenating experience.
- With so many to choose from, the best way to find the perfect place for one’s needs is to check out sites like Georgia Mountain Cabins for a town-by-town guide of area rental cabins and accommodations. Whether one is looking for the elaborate or the simple, there is sure to be somewhere that suits all the parameters.
The mountains of northeastern Georgia offer so many things to do that it may very well become the family or work location getaway of choice. After all, what’s not to love about the invigorating yet peacefulness of the mountains!