In and around Savannah are many fascinating places to go and visit, from old forts to museums, from parks to beaches. Spend some time at these lovely Savannah sites, and you’ll be rewarded with a wonderful day of Savannah excursions, memories made, and a growing knowledge of the history of Savannah.
Built in 1875, this is among the last of the coastal artillery batteries built along the East Coast. . The fort was manned during the Spanish-American War and both World Wars I and II. The Tybee Museum is at the fort.
U.S. 80, 18 miles East of Savannah
Fort Pulaski National Monument
Built between 1829 and 1847, the fort was named for Revolutionary War hero, Casimir Pulaski and engineered in part by Robert E. Lee to protect the sea approach to Savannah. The fort was damaged in 1862 and captured by Federal troops.
U.S. 80, 15 miles East of Savannah
Tybee Island Lighthouse
The original 90-foot structure, completed in 1736 and built of brick and cedar piles, was soon destroyed by a storm. A second tower build in 1742, was the third lighthouse in America. The structure which stands today dates to 1866.
30 Meddin Drive
Tybee Island Marine Science Center
The center offers visitors the opportunity to learn about the marine life of the local environment. The center features aquariums containing marine life found in local waters and various displays.
1510 Strand, South end of Tybee Island in the 14th Street parking lot
Located in an 1898 Coastal Artillery Battery, the museum traces the island’s history and houses gun and doll collections of particular interest.
At Fort Screven, across from Tybee Lighthouse
U.S. 80, 18 miles east of Savannah
Fort McAllister State Historic Park
The focal point of this 1,725 acre park is a restored Civil War earthwork fort built 1861-62. The fort fell after two years, at the culmination of General Sherman’s march to the sea. A Civil War Museum rests on the site, along with many tents, trailer, and RV sites, campsite, fishing pier, picnic shelters, group shelters, and campgrounds.
3894 Fort McAllister Road
10 miles east of I-95 on Ga. Spur 144
Fort Pulaski National Monument
Named for Revolutionary War hero Casimir Pulaski and partly engineered by Robert E. Lee, the fort, built between 1829 and 1847, was captured and damaged by Federal troopers in 1862. It is a unit of the National Park Service.
U.S. 80, 15 miles east of Savannah
Fort Stewart Museum
This museum chronicles the military preserve on coastal Georgia from early settlers to the present. Fort Stewart is the largest Army installation east of the Mississippi River. It covers 279,270 acres, which include parts of Liberty, Long, Bryan, Evans, and Tattnall Counties. The reservation is about 39 miles across from east to west and 19 miles from north to south. Call for tour information. Building T-904, Wilson Avenue at Frank Cochran Road
Hodgson Hall (Georgia Historical Society)
Constructed in 1875, Hodgson Hall, headquarters of the Georgia Historical Society, houses the Society’s historical collections and administration offices. Among the oldest historical organizations in the nation, the library, archives and exhibit area are open to the public.
501 Whitaker Street
Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace
Savannah’s first Registered National Historic Landmark, the birthplace of the founder of Girl Scouts in the United States, was build between 1818 and 1821. the house has been restored to the period of 1886, the year of Juliette Low’s marriage.
Corner of Bull Street and Oglethorpe Avenue
Mighty Eighth Air Force Heritage Museum
This museum honors the more than one million men and women who served in the Mighty Eight Air Force since it was created in Savannah in 1942. It includes exhibits, archives, theatre presentations, and a library/education center.
175 Bourne Avenue
Old Fort Jackson
Old Fort Jackson is the oldest standing fort in Georgia. In 1775, during the Revolutionary War, an earthen battery was built on the site. The original brick fort was begun in 1808 and manned during the War of 1812 and during the Civil War. It now houses historical displays.
1 Fort Jackson Road
2 miles east of Savannah
Oglethorpe Speedway Park
Located on US Highway 80 in Pooler — just five miles from the historic district in downtown Savannah — three miles east of Interstate 95 on US Highway 80 (exit 102).
This historic, half-mile NASCAR sanctioned speedway opened March, 1951 with the inaugural Professional Flat Track Motorcycle Race. The speedway’s first automobile race was held in May, 1951 with the defending Indy 500 winner Johnny Parsons winning the 200 lap midget race.
Oglethorpe Speedway Park (OSP) hosted the NASCAR Grand National Series (Today’s Nextel Cup Series) in the Fifties and continues to fly the NASCAR banner as a 20-year member of the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series.
Racing takes place on Friday and some Saturday nights at 8:00pm. There are also many special events throughout the year with the largest each October. The “Showdown on the Coast” will bring the best of the best to OSP to compete for over $100,000 in purse.
Call 912-964-8200 or visit www.ospracing.net for more information.
Owens-Thomas House Museum
The nation’s finest example of Regency architecture, this house was built 1816-1819. It contains many furnishings of the original owners and has a formal walking garden.
124 Abercorn Street
Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum
The museum is dedicated to the life and service of African Americans and their contributions to civil rights and equality in Savannah. It features exhibits designed to illustrate and tell the civil rights story.
460 Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard
Roundhouse Railroad Museum
This National Historic Landmark is dedicated to railroad heritage and is the oldest and most complete Antebellum railroad manufacturing and repair facility still in existence in the U.S. Thirteen of the original structures remain.
601 Harris Street
Savannah History Museum
This former railway station, a National Historic Landmark, houses displays depicting Savannah’s history, including an 1890 steam locomotive, a cotton exhibit with a genuine cotton gin, and artifacts from Savannah’s wars.
303 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
Savannah Ogeechee Canal, Museum and Nature Center
This national historic canal was completed in 1830 to transport goods from the Ogeechee River communities to the port on the Savannah River. Two of the better-preserved locks are adjacent to the museum and nature center.
681 Fort Argyle Road (Ga. Hwy. 204)
Savannah Riverboat Cruises
Cruises on the Savannah River aboard the 400-passenger Savannah River Queen and the 600-passenger Georgia Queen. Sightseeing cruises and specialty cruises offered.
9 East River Street
Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum
Savannah’s maritime museum is filled with a large collection of shipping artifacts, memorabilia and models ranging in length from a few inches to eight feet. Built in 1819, it is located in the historic Scarbrough House.
41 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
Wormsloe Historic Site
A lovely live oak avenue leads to the tabby ruins of a colonial estate constructed between 1739-45. In the visitor’s center, artifacts excavated at Wormsloe and an audio-visual program about the founding of Georgia.
7601 Skidaway Road